Recently I have been doing a lot of thinking & shared my thoughts on Facebook.
See ever since I returned home from my backpacking trip around the world I see things differently. During my travels I got to see how some of the rest of the world lives and returning home was shocking. I dealt with the reality of coming home after traveling the world and even though it’s been over 9 months I still have trouble being home every day. One of the things that was/is most shocking though is what a consumer driven society we have become and how it becomes more evident during the holidays. The holidays have turned into a spending/wasting money frenzy that is no longer about family and friends. We have Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, Cyber Monday & now Giving Tuesday. When are we going to have a day to pay ourselves? That is why I propose we come together and start Saving Sunday!
I’ve always told people sadly we live in a world that runs on money. You are going to need money for whatever you decide to do in life so why not save money for something you may need in the future? Even if you don’t know what it is you want it will cost money so why not save anyway?
- Save to buy a car.
- Save to buy a house.
- Save to pay for school.
- Save to travel (even if it’s a 2 week vacation).
- Save to pay yourself first.
- Save… just because.
The thing is we have been conditioned to believe that in order to be happy we must spend money on ourselves all day every day. That Starbucks Coffee is going to make me happy. That $300 name brand purse is going to make me happy. That new iPad Air is going to make me happy. This, that, or anything will make me happy. The truth is all these companies can care less what your financial situation is because they want your MONEY!!! It’s about the green and they want it all in their pockets. If they can’t have it they sure as hell don’t want you to have it at the end of the day to pay yourself first. They don’t care that you may not be able to afford it and may be living paycheck to paycheck with tons of debt. If that is your case you are a Modern Day Slave.
That used to be me, I lived paycheck to paycheck and thought I was so happy buying everything I didn’t need with tons of debt. It wasn’t until I got arrested for drinking and driving that I woke and realized I was miserable with the life I was living. From that moment on I told my self I would live my life on my terms and the rest is history. I got my ass out of debt, became a semi-minimalist and started saving for my 2 year dream backpacking trip around the world. I have been documenting those changes and my travels on this blog for over 3 years.
It’s no secret that I want to get back on the road ASAP and since I have been home I have saved more than half my savings goal working a job that is only paying me $12 an hour. That lets you know it’s not about how much you make, but how you manage your money.
I know they aren’t going to like it, but lets make #SavingSunday the Sunday after all these crazy days made up by multibillion dollar corporations. Lets make it about bringing awareness to SAVING money so you can start paying yourself first.
Here are a few things you can do on #SavingSunday:
- Stay home and watch a movie with the family.
- Stay home and read a book.
- Stay home and exercise.
- Stay home and play games with the family.
- Stay home and make a meal from what you have in your fridge.
- Stay home and go over your finances.
- Stay home and see what things that are costing you money you can get rid of.
- Stay home and list all the unnecessary things you spend money on.
- Stay home and gather all your change and start a change jar (I have a change vase).
- Stay home and transfer $20, $50 or $100 to your savings account.
- Stay home and see how you can get yourself out of the financial hole you may be in.
- Stay home and de-clutter your living space.
- Stay home and find out what you really want in life and how you can achieve it.
- Stay home and don’t spend money.
- Stay home and make #SavingSunday your financial wake up call!!!
If for some reason you can’t do any of the above or are not ready to start the Sunday after the shopping frenzy no worries; here is another savings game you can play and make it your New Years Resolution:
(I did not create this game. It’s a popular challenge that spreads online around the holidays each year.)
So I challenge you to make a commitment and manage your money better and start saving. Lets make December 8, 2013 the first #SavingSunday and a holiday created by the people for the people. Lets turn this into healthy financial habits you can start making year round and not just on #SavingSunday.
Share this with your friends, family and everyone. Lets pay ourselves first and get back on track to the things we really need and are important in life. If you made saving a priority for anything you want in the future share your tips below. I’d love to hear them and like always if you need anything let me know and if I can help I will.
POST ABOUT FINANCES
- How much did it cost me to travel the world for 2 years?
- How much does it cost to prepare for a trip around the world?
- 6 things I’m doing to save money.
- How to make an extra $1,568.00!!!
- This is what budget travel is…